It’s that time of year again; the lambs are popping up in the field, the flowers are starting to bloom and of course, many of us are itching to grab the mop and clean out our homes. But, when it comes to spring cleaning there is one place in the home that often gets overlooked – the garage!
Here at Allanwater Homes, we think that just as we like to give our closets and kitchen a clean out, the garage should get the same treatment too. After all, these useful household spaces are often packed full with the bits and bobs that don’t have a home, in your home.
So with this in mind, we have put together our top tips for spring-cleaning your garage so that you are left with a spotlessly clean and clear space for storing away a range of items.
Step 1 – Declutter first
- Depending on the size of your garage and the amount of clutter, choose a full day or a full weekend to dedicate to decluttering and organising your garage.
- Make spring cleaning the garage a family project. Include family members, relatives or a few close friends. This will help speed up the process.
- Go through every single item and sort into four piles – Keep, Donate, Sell, Toss.
Organise what’s left
Once that’s done and all of the clutter is out, it’s time to start organising. First, figure out how much space your car(s) will take and then work with what’s left by placing items in spaces based on their types and uses:
- Frequently Used: sItems Used Together: Create zones for groups of things such as auto care, gardening, and sports equipment so that like items are stored together.
- Bulkier Items: Use the two back corners of the garage to store bulkier items such as a lawn mowers or trimmers.
- Tools and Bicycles: Tools such as shovels and rakes and bicycles are best stored by hanging on the wall.
Keep it tidy
Once you’re done with all of that, you’ll have a cleaner garage that is organised nicely. The next step is to make efforts year round to keep it that way.
- Keep floor space as free as possible.
- Spray for pests from time to time to keep insects at bay.
- Sweep and hose down the floors regularly to get out dirt.
Happy Spring! Go forth and clean.
What’s your biggest challenge when it comes to cleaning out the garage? Post your experiences or before and afters in the Comments below.